Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Olivier de Sagazan


Olivier de Sagazan is a French artist who does not only sculpture, but also painting and incorporates this into performance. 

http://vimeo.com/8623092


This is the first video I saw of him, and it's both terrifying and beautiful. He shows this horrible transformation from a man to a monster though clay and performance. Even though you know it's a performance, it feels incredibly emotional and almost frightening. I really love creepy things, and I feel that his work is very conceptual and isn't about making something look aesthetically pleasing. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TOx64AEIkQ

This video is probably one of my favorites. I feel like it shows the monsters that live in nature itself, and even they can be seen as beautiful.
I find it very interesting that he uses himself as the base of his sculptures in his performances. Obviously, it helps in the actual performance aspect, but its amazing to see him transform himself into various creatures and play the part very well. 









His sculptures seem almost robotic, or mechanical. A lot of them all share this similar feel- almost like they are all part of a race, or species in some sort of story. 
The materials he uses work extremely well with each other. It creates this realistic, yet fantasy-like feeling to it, by using what looks like clay (a more natural material) and possibly what also looks like metal. 


He also paints, which I'm assuming he takes scenes or ideas from his performances and paints them which always turn out to be very beautiful.



I absolutely love his work, and he by far is probably my favorite artist. His tastes are very similar to mine and I feel that he has an enormous amount of creativity and artistic talent. He takes creepiness to an entirely different level and I love it.



http://nefdesfous.free.fr/

No comments:

Post a Comment