Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Muybridge Artist Statement

Your Withered Heart, and Everything it's Seen

This piece was really different for me, especially since I'm not used to photographing my own work and relying on both my sculpture skills and my photography skills for this to work and look acceptable. This project was really a challenge since I had done nothing like this before.
I started out with a different idea than what I have now, but I think I'm fairly happy with the results. I wanted to create an implied sense of time by showing decay and telling a story at the same time. Time passes throughout stories and movement and I thought I should strengthen this idea by creating actual decay on the pages of the story. The story itself it sort of about decay and obsession and how they go along with each other. I personally find decay beautiful so I wanted to incorporate that as my idea of time. I also didn’t want to include words in my story because I feel like the story could be taken several different ways and I wanted the story to be up to the viewer and how they interpret not only the photographs, but the gradual decay of the pages as well.
It took a really long time for me to figure out how to physically display this piece, and decided that since I’m telling a story through photographs, I should create a book-like format for it.
Overall, I’m fairly happy with the results. There are a few things I wish I had done differently in the construction but I didn’t really plan it out that well and didn’t think ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment